Recent Talks, Public Presentations, Consultant Presentations,
Many of the following are only minimally enriched: the tinker has no shoes. Better vanilla than no ice cream at all, is what I figure.
Back to Michael Jon Jensen's home page
- Scholarly Publishing in the New Era of Scarcity, Plenary presentation at the Association of American University Presses, Philadelphia, 6/2009 (includes YouTube of presentation)
- Keynote Address for JSTOR's 2008 Participating Publisher Conference, New York, 5/2008
- Publishing 2012: Current and Future Publishing Issues one-hour presentation to Washington Book Publishers, Washington, 4/2007
- Publishing 2012, Preparing for the Future: Digital Strategies for Publishers 10 hours over three days, in partnership with World Bank Publishing and George Washington University, Mexico City, 2/2007
- Authority 2.0 and 3.0 (PDF) originally presented at 50th anniversary celebration of Hong Kong University Press, 11/2006
- Radio Interview on RTHK's "Naked Lunch" (Hong Kong), 24 minutes, RealAudio, 11/29/2006.
- Evolution, Intelligent Designers, Climate Change, and the Scholarly Publishing Ecosystem, Keynote speech for the Association of American University Presses' Electronic Publishing Workshop, New Orleans, June 15, 2006 (includes audio).
- Evolution, Intelligent Design, Climate Change, and the Scholarly Ecosystem, Keynote speech for the Illinois Association of College and Research Libraries (IACRL) Biannual Meeting, March 30, 2006 (includes audio).
- Beyond Google/Beyond Words, presentation at the 2/2003 Science Writers Association meeting, Denver.
- Free Access and Increased Sales: The Online Paradox of The National Academies Press, invited presentation to the Swedish Library Association's Ebok 2002 in Stockholm, Sweden, November 2002
- Remarks for the Staff Awards Ceremony, upon receiving Presidents' Award, Oct 1, 2001
- Entrepreneurs of Social Value: Public Access/Public Discourse/Public Markets, in "Speaking Differently: Transitions in Scientific Communication," International Federation of Library Associations Annual Meeting, 21 August, 2001
- Content as its Own Best Advertisement: Gaining the World by Giving Away the Store, Washington Book Publishers Group, March 2001
Information Technology at a Crossroads:
Open-Source Computer Programming, The Chronicle of Higher Education,
Back Page, October 29, 1999
Entrepreneurs of Social Value: Applying
Technology to the Nonprofit Knowledge Enterprise, Amsterdam University,
Amsterdam, October 1999
Tearing Up the Limits Imposed by Paper,
one of eight essays in "Scholarly Publishing in an Electronic Age," The
Chronicle of Higher Education, June 25, 1999, B7
Mission Possible: Giving it away while making it
pay, Association of American University Presses, Austin TX, June 1999
Options and Strategies for the New Technologies,
Polish Publisher's Seminar, Warsaw PL, April, 1999
Transforming the Enterprise: Nonprofits, Forprofits, and
Scholarship, OCLC Director's Meeting, Dublin OH, March, 1999
Here There be Tygers: Profit, Nonprofit, and Loss in
the Age of Disintermediation. March 6, 1997, Scholarly Communication
in the Next Millennium Conference, Vancouver
Pricing considerations and content-driven pricing models
for electronic publications (AAUP)
Content-driven design issues for electronic publications
The Container is not the Content: Digital Publishing
Costs, Concerns, and Pricing (Charleston)