Speeches and Presentations
The following may be dredged from back files and quickly HTMLcoded.
Others without sufficient hardcopy or given in a seminar framework are
listed elsewhere. Out of date by default.
- Scholarly Publishing in the New Era of Scarcity, Plenary presentation at the Association of American University Presses, Philadelphia, 6/2009 (includes YouTube of presentation)
- Keynote Address for JSTOR's 2008 Participating Publisher Conference, New York, 5/2008
- Publishing 2012: Current and Future Publishing Issues one-hour presentation to Washington Book Publishers, Washington, 4/2007
- Publishing 2012, Preparing for the Future: Digital Strategies for Publishers 10 hours over three days, in partnership with World Bank Publishing and George Washington University, Mexico City, 2/2007
- Authority 2.0 and 3.0 (PDF) originally presented at 50th anniversary celebration of Hong Kong University Press, 11/2006
- Radio Interview on RTHK's "Naked Lunch" (Hong Kong), 24 minutes, RealAudio, 11/29/2006.
- Evolution, Intelligent Designers, Climate Change, and the Scholarly Publishing Ecosystem, Keynote speech for the Association of American University Presses' Electronic Publishing Workshop, New Orleans, June 15, 2006 (includes audio).
- Evolution, Intelligent Design, Climate Change, and the Scholarly Ecosystem, Keynote speech for the Illinois Association of College and Research Libraries (IACRL) Biannual Meeting, March 30, 2006 (includes audio).
- Beyond Google/Beyond Words, presentation at the 2/2003 Science Writers Association meeting, Denver.
- Free Access and Increased Sales: The Online Paradox of The National Academies Press, invited presentation to the Swedish Library Association's Ebok 2002 in Stockholm, Sweden, November 2002
- Remarks upon receiving the National Academies "President's Award", 20 days after Sept. 11. Oct 1, 2001
- Entrepreneurs of Social Value: Applying Technology to the Nonprofit Knowledge Enterprise, public lecture at Amsterdam University, Amsterdam, October 1999
- Mission Possible: Giving it away while making it pay, plenary presentation at the Association of American University Presses, Austin TX, June 1999
- Options and Strategies for the New Technologies, Polish Publisher's Seminar, Warsaw Poland, April, 1999
- Transforming the Enterprise: Nonprofits, Forprofits, and Scholarship, presentation at the OCLC Director's Meeting, Dublin OH, March, 1999
- Book Publishing; The Web, CD-ROM and other Digital Dreams, presentation to the Getty, February, 1997, reviewed and summarized by Ben Davis, a participant; this is the only recorded version, and was harvested from Google's cache, as the mit.edu site gives a 404.
- "Here There be Tygers: Profit, Nonprofit, and Loss in the Age of Disintermediation, given at
Scholarly Communication in the Next Millennium: Canada's Policy Conference, March 1997.
- "Here There be Tygers: Uncharted Tesseracts in the Age of Disintermediation,
given to "Professors & Publishing in the Electronic Academy"
Electronic Publishing Conference, sponsored by The University of Tennessee, Knoxville Libraries, Knoxville, TN, September 17-19, 1996
- "Ethical Imperatives of the Information
Revolution," Unitarian Church presentation, Lincoln, NE, June 1995.
- "Opportunity, Responsibility, and the Edutainment War,"
Keynote speech given at the "Association of American University Presses Second
Electronic Publishers Workshop, Washington, DC, June 1994.
- "Fighting Infotainment: The Nonprofit Sector's Responsibility in an Online World," given at
the Third Symposium on Scholarly Publishing on the Electronic Networks, a joint Association
of Research Libraries/Association of American University Presses symposium, 11/93. Published
in the Proceedings, page 85-91.
- "A Nation of Dilettantes: The Future of Networked Digital Information Systems," given at IEEE Dissemination of Electronic
Information Workshop, 9/93.
- "Electronic Publishing: Preparing for the Future." Keynote speech at the Association of
American University Presses' Electronic Publishing Workshop, 6/93.
- "Intellectual Property and University Press Publishing," given at the Joint Harvard/MIT
Workshop on Intellectual Property Protection in the Networked Multimedia Environment, Harvard
University, 3/93; Published in Proceedings, 2/94, page 55-61.
- "University Presses, Computer Technology, and Human Rights Publishing," 45 minute
presentation at Layman Conference on Human Rights in the New Europe, University of Nebraska-Lincoln,
- "Technology and Knowledge: The University of Nebraska Press/Charles University Press
Education Project," 20 minute presentation at PUBWATCH seminar on "The Crisis in Publishing in
Eastern and Central Europe," New York, 3/91
Back to Michael Jensen's home page